Thursday, December 29, 2005

Winter holidays

Ahhh! The winter holidays are sooo short! I have so much work that I should do but are they serious ? I am looking forward to the New Year's celebration period which I am to be spending with my friend Maki at her house. You can see the Miyajima Torii from her upstairs . . . Just to put that in perspective, there are 'Three Top View in Japan' and the Torii is one of them . . quite who decided what got the guernsey isn't clear, but it's still pretty good!

I spent most of today doing odd things that don't amount to much in print . . Woke up in decent time have decided that an early night was needed after weeks of insane living patterns. Tried to read some of a book that related to my proposed thesis topic but it's so densely academic that it sent me back to sleep! Then I rushed around getting Ryoko's present and card ready for meeting her for early lunch before she headed to 島根県(Shimane-ken) for お正月 (Oshougatsu -New Year)

WOW NEWS FLASH!
Geets in back in A-town! Weird - how long it has been now since that night she dashed away when I was amid celebrating my 21st birthday almost a year too late!

And now to return to our usual programme . . .
Ryoko and I went to a more upmarket Sushi train shop than that which we usually frequent which was an interesting experience - a whole lot more stuff that I've never seen the likes of before . . I believe one of things I tried was akin to moretin bay bugs . . .

Then we hung out til she had to catch her bus . . I wished that I could have been going too . . . But I think that what I'm doing instead will be fine. Just jealous that I won't get to Shimane again - an old farmhouse amid the snow! But Saturday I will be going to Maki's for New Years and we will making the special food for NY . . . We all know how I can rarely resist the temptation for learning new recipes!!

Ryoko gave me a whole lot of Banana Yoshimoto books for Xmas!!! Yay! my third present!! I was super excited, even though I did happen to book two of them for myself anyway!! I then thought long and hard about buying myself a ブックカバー (bukkukaba- . . any guesses there ?) but then decided to wait for the NY sales that will apparently take place . . well, in the NY I suppose! Anyway, if nothing else it was distracting to do a bit of window shopping. I also bought a few more things to add to the stockpile of ietms that I am accumulating for sending to friends . . . If I don't have your address don't be expecting anything!! I had the best intentions before Christmas but as well we know 'the best laid plans of mice and men . . gang oft aglae' (yes, aglae don't you know . . of course, I may have spelt that incorrectly!). I shall do my best but well, I shan't make any promises!

Hope you all had a great Christmas . . poor Phili who checked my blog on the day for a respite from work!

Christmas Day here went okay - I would have to say the gamut of emotions where fairly intensely and thoroughly run - tears, love, confusion, sadness, anger and frustration (with a camera crew), anticipation, butterflies, contentment, relief, gratitude, exhaustion . . you get the picture. It was enjoyable in parts, certainly memorable but it didn't really resound with that Christmas atmosphere.

I love O-san - she is the best! Christmas Eve was really special and great because of her! . . . and her teaching me and Maki how to make vegetable manju!

I also went to Marie's house yesterday where we made mochi (pounded rice) in a Hello Kitty mochi-maker . . it looked disturbing like something out of a horror flick as Kitty-chan's mochi brain girated in her skull.
And what is the deal with all of these TV programmes where semi-famous celebrities try to ruin their by going on insane week-long one product only diets for the hell of it . . . 500 plates of cream stew in a week ? A weeklong diet of roughly 500 sheets of plain 海苔 (のり nori ) for a week ? Jeepers Japan!

Right! I didn't really mean to even post . . now I should go do something . . It should be study but will probably involve alcohol and hanging out with Lane if only we could throw the newest episode of LOST into the bargain . . "what a wonderful world this could be" - yeah . . Sam Cooke . . .

Oh! Today at the fancy Sushi-ya they played the most incongruous selection of music - generally from 30-40 years ago and often foreign . . go Chicago, Tears for Fears and the Bee Gees . . . just what I expected with my o-cha and maguro! 変だねぇ

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home