Saturday, December 03, 2005

厳島神社の鳥居 Itsukushimajinja Torii


Itsukushimajinja Torii
Originally uploaded by Yukata Me.
I am sure that Wiz will have many pointers for me on how to take a much better photo than this but I was pressed for time with the light, it was cold and people were crowding in everywhere and getting in the road. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
I still like it anyway - it kind of captures what I could see on that crisp Autumn evening.

My dear readers may be unaware of Japan's great love of numbering and ranking items, places and people . . . This site is supposedly one of the top three places in Japan - and Maki has a wonderful view of it from her spacious two-storey house!

I should hop off to bed, but I want to finish watching Howl's Moving Castle which I got half way through last night. At about 2:30 am with little study done I decided that it was time for some shut-eye and even so I felt rather under the weather from lack of sleep. My poor stressed out tummy!

It's really quite cold tonight and all day there has been a misty pall. Your breath comes out in clouds and I hear that we might even have snow next week!

This afternoon following our typically unriveting 4th lesson with 'Drunk Sensei' a group of us went out drinking. We went to a decidedly European style place not far from school where they were pumping out oddly erratic jazz. For the first time I got to try オムライス (omu-raisu - Omelette with rice) as it was a far more classy version than that which is available in the school cafeterias. This was seafood and mushrooms with a tomato sauce and the experience has much elevated my opinion of this humble looking dish . . oh! I should have taken a photo then I wouldn't have to struggle with an explanation . . it is a oval shaped heap of rice (kind of reminiscent of the shape of those old metal rabbit jelly moulds) which then has thin and delicately cooked layer of egg that is wrapped over the rice, and in this case it had a lovely seafood tomato sauce to accompany it - like a great pasta dish but better as it wasn't accompanied by the guilt of eating something that I shouldn't - I can't wait to try more if I can find places that do them well . . I might even have to give it a go myself!

Do you know that Captain Planet used to show in Korea ? Amazing!

We then caught the Astramline (elevated rail) into town and trekked about to find an open Mr Donuts so we could come home and feast whilst we watched LOST . . .

I am to go with Marie to the Art gallery tomorrow morning so I should call it a night here!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

awesome photo ellie. was very impressed when i first saw it. it's great - even down to the little figurine of a man haning from the rim of the lantern ;)

keep up the good work!

9:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it is an awesome photo!

howls moving castle!! i missed it when it was screening over here..but i did manage to steal a poster from the exeter which now lives on my wall to remind me i didn't get to see it! now i just have to wait for it to be released on dvd!

love you el.
xosair

3:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home