Tuesday, November 29, 2005

高野山の寺の晩御飯


高野山の寺で
Originally uploaded by Yukata Me.
A photo of me at dinner in a temple in the mountain-top village of 高野山(Koyasan). It was delicious and whilst I did regret taking Mr Vego there the meal did consist of a lot of the pickled vegetables his is little fond of. It was a fine spread! I love the way that traditional Japanese food sets everything out so prettily in little portions of ennumerable items. I pity the washer-up but it has a way of making you feel satisfied that doesn't really come with a meal of one bowl no matter how large. I'm not sure if it was this or the unbareable heat which had me eating so sparingly over the Summer, but the onset of Autumn and Winter (plus never-ending study) have put paid to that little trend . . .

I don't have much to say for myself today . .

Oh, the goes a little bug which reminds me of why I was up til 2am this morning!
I was giving my room a weekly once over and also trying to tidy away a whole lot of class papers so that I could get a handle on what homework was what, when I discovered a repulsive sight. I had seen a few little flying creatures in my room of late but I assumed they were the result of neglecting a little bag of decaying vegatable matter out on my balcony . . last night I discovered otherwise . . I strange covered water outlet that has evidently been harbouring a colony of grime and little flying things . . nausating as it was to deal with I put on my headphones and scrub away and I think my room should smell all the sweeter for it. I had been trying to take the 'live and let live' approach to the critters but while I could with the odd companion or two to maintain my sense of the natural world, an entire working network of the blighters was a few too many!

Did the usual toing and froing between school and home that Tuesday involves, and also took Lane's English class in 5th period. I tried hard but it was a bit of a flop with only two attendees - Hyok and I called it a night when Kaori had to go home early for her part-time job. Then I bumped into Ryoko in the computer labs and we sauntered over to the library, meeting Keiko for a chat on the way - it's cold but refreshing to be outside - you dress up warm to deal with the low temperatures but then you end up sweltering and faigued from the strength of the heating. My contacts were itchy all day as a result!

Anyway, in keeping with the photo I thought I'd give you a recipe as food for thought, or perhaps more . . It's very simple and yummy as!

Tofu-Chawanmushi

材料 (zairyou) Ingredients:
1 cake of tofu (225g) I used momen which is the firmer of the two most commonly available types of tofu in Japan.
2 eggs, lightly beaten
20 gingko nuts - Alex and I used packet ones so we didn't have to try and shell them but I think fresh is much better - I got some last week from Kyoko but have yet to eat them - should do that soon - apparently you just place a few in a paper bag in the microwave for a few minutes - take them out and they should be ほくほくする(hokuhokusuru - I can't explain that term terribly well but think of it as 'piping hot')
4 shrimp (Americans! Prawns! Bloody prawns! Vegos feel free to leave them out - we did as Alex may be allergemic to shellfishes and we weren't keen to test the theory)
4 shiitake
12 stalks of mitsuba (or young spinach leaves)
Seasonings:
1 1/2 cup of dashi (I think you vegos could easily substitute this with a bit of salty water of vego stock)
1 tablespoon of light (who's checking?) soy sauce (usukuchi shoyu)
1 teaspoon of mirin
1/3 teaspoon of salt

作り方 (tsukurikata) Method:

1. Rinse tofu, wrap in cotton cloth and press to remove moisture. Then puree in a blender (or if you are 'tough' like me, or simply lacking in a blender, you can have a go at it with a whisk or even a fork!)

2. Thoroughly mix tofu, eggs and seasonings.

3. If you've laid your hands on real gingko you need to crack and remove the shells, drop them in lightly salted boiling water to remove the thin brown skins that are apparently on them - I have yet to actually attempt this . . . Do similarly to the prawns should be wanting them - cooking them lightly in salty water. If using dried shiitake soak them in warm water until they soften, cutting off and discarding any stems (they always want you to do that - I don't get why!). Cut the mitsuba into 1-inch (2.5cm) lengths.

4. Pour water into the steamer and set over high heat.

5. Divide tofu-egg mixture amoung 4 cups, placing 5 gingko nuts in each cup and arranging mushroom and prawn on top.

6. Place the cups in steamer but do not cover them. Wrap the lid of the steamer in a teatowel so that condensation will be absorbed and be prevented form dripping onto the Chawanmushi.
Make sure it's tied up away from any flame . . we don't want any house fires! That wouldn't result in very tasty Chawanmushi at all!

7. Cook on high heat for 2 mintutes, then reduce heat and steam for a further 10 to 12 minutes. Shortly before the Chawanmushi sets sprinkle on the mitsuba.

8. To check they are ready insert a toothpick into the centre. It say 'When ready the soup should come out clear' - whatever that means - I just wobbled them around a bit and after about 10 minutes they were obviously set fine, though I must admit I put in more than the required amount of tofu.

9. If using the lovely Chawanmushi cups, a set of which I want sooo much, then cover before serving. Usually for Japan, generally eaten with both a spoon and chopsticks!
* Can also garnished with nori and grated wasabi.

Go forth and enjoy my friends!

This post has taken forever and now I must attend to my studies!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Twenty Students of Eleanor Roosevelt Highschool, MD will stay in Hen Sho-ko-In on Tuesday 7/11/2006.
They are at Kyoto and tomorrow evening 7/10, they will go to internet cafe to read E-mail. I will send this link to teachers. If you have any advice
E-mail of teacher is
Mr.John Sisson: SISSONSAN@aol.com
Ms McLaughlin:gwenmclaughlin@yahoo.com
My E-mail is
michikom@minnowpond.us

10:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home