Wednesday, November 09, 2005

One big bugger . . I mean, Buddha


Daibutsuden, Nara
Originally uploaded by Yukata Me.
The famous giant Buddha at Nara - it really was a most impressive thing! I was also lucky enough to go twice! The second time I was inundated by Middle School kids from Tokyo wanting to practise their English - ha ha! I was unrelenting in my use of Japanese . . . (what a mean cow!)

I wish that I could take some solace from looking at this rather inspiring sight, but this cold is really getting to me and I just missed the bus home and have to wait over half an hour for the next one. That wouldn't usually be such a problem at all, but tonight I just can't manage to do anything of value.

I had to go home for my teaching session after second period, and upon my return for 4th period my head started hurting and I wished I hadn't bothered with the return trip. There was the second of the presentations of students' interviews with their family members about the postwar period though, which was interesting. However, following this I had started with the best intentions of sticking around at school to try and make some good headway with my presentation for Thursday's Japanese class. I just can't do it!!! It's a struggle to keep my eyes open and every time I move my eyes from the screen to the keyboard (this'll teach me not to be able to touch type better!) I see a weird and horrible flashing yellow squiggle . . . Oh! I have just realised that it's a cord running to the keyboard from the computer - hmm, is this a good discovery or a bad one ? Not sure it's any better a reflection on my state of health . . .

Anyway, I just can't seem to muster the energy for anything and I really must! This bloody presentation has to be presented on Thursday and I should have got it done last week, but didn't.
I have to present about reading Nausicaa the manga and whilst it's enjoyable to read it's slow going with a lot of obscure kanji, particularly unusual combinations of kanji, that are rather specific to this highly imaginative fictional work. Bed is beckoning so invitingly, but Ryoko has agreed to check my work for me tomorrow afternoon and I know if I don't get a little more done on it before tomorrow I'll be up the proverbial creek!
Colds are poo!

But my English conversation session was fun and on Sunday we will be going to a Tea Ceremony and out for Okonomiyaki!
Oh! For the weekend to be here already! I hate to wish the short days of my life away but I doubt this week will be any fun at all!
Well, I should away to this bus!

頑張ります!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah poor miss sickie, how are you feeling now? I wonder if it's the same cold that tore through everyone here a while ago - you are really kind to do the sympathy-sickness if so! :) It's fun to read of all your days off school, sounds like you've been very diligent but managed to squish in some great stuff too. Did you have fried green tomatoes at the BBQ? It's weird to see you all rugged up! Though I guess it's raining like crazy here... :)

take care of that cold! hmm. that sounds like i'm telling you to nurture it.. take care of the host instead!

xo lsd

9:07 PM  
Blogger Eleanora Martinez said...

Much as I'd like to say 'yes, I'd happily suffer through for my friends', I'd have to say that I'd rather offer my services to help you recouperate than suffer through it along with you !
See look, I'm so sick I couldn't think of any decent synonyms for 'suffer' and had to use it twice in one sentence - how pathetic!

No fried greens but some great shiitake mushrooms - Denni, eat your heart out!! Hee hee.

I think I'm cold and rugged up now - I don't want to think about how it's going to get once winter actually sets in in earnest!

I give up on this day - I'm going back to bed already!

Man, the person opposite me! I never usually see or hear a peep out of them, but whoever it is, today they keep popping in and out of their room like a veritable jack-in-the-box!

11:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home