Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Miyajima with Ryoko & a day of contented rest!


Miyajima with Ryoko
Originally uploaded by Yukata Me.
Today (Tuesday) was soooo great!
I slept in because Alex and I had a midnight snack last night (Monday night) - porridge and toasted mochi - yummy.
Then I had a leisurely morning basking the sun streaming through my window as I read a book. This was followed by some rushing around to hide dirty plates before my English speaking lesson person arrived bearing me gifts of yummy rice and bean sweets in a beautiful lacquered box which she said I could keep - I wish that all my future jobs will be as cushy and well-paying as this one!
After this with my usual impeccable timing I knocked on Alex's door as she was in shower - somehow no matter what time I go past and knock she's in or just out of the shower - poor lady!
We both concurred that the day was too perfect for spending indoors and took a walk to the English language library in the Peace Park where we were accosted by a group of kids on their Primary School trip from Osaka. They then stood around trying to ask us questions in English whilst we were amused by their Japanese.
I found some really interesting books at the library and we happily perused many a cookbook and decided to cook up a storm this evening.
We walked to the Hondori for to do a little shopping as Alex was hungry and also in need of a new pair of shoes having misplaced hers somewhere yesterday or Friday sometime.
This resulted in a visit to Mr Donuts, me becoming engrossed by a crockery shop where I bought two bento boxes as they were too cute to pass up - have to get organised for Christmas, don't you know! Then we headed to see the Totoro shop, but got distracted at UniQlo where I finally purchased a pretty pink wool/chasmere top and impulsely bought a belt for about the first time in my life - mainly because it matched my outfit but I'm soooo happy I have it now! It seemed like a large amount to outlay for a small accessory but it's a lovely maroon colour and I've just noticed that the embossed pattern on it is sakura! A perfect functional item to remember my trip by when I return!!
Checked out the San Freece Hiroshima soccer team shop looking for a gift but it was already shut - some lovely purple striped beanies were noted through the window!
We then meandered home along the river, dashed to Fresta for some tofu and other items, bumping into the ever-friendly Moe from our Linguistics seminar, before returning once again to the Kaikan for feast-making!
Alex made up some lovely mushroom and udon soup with a side-dish of ginger eggplant whilst I exceeded even my own expectations and turned out edible Chawanmushi!! Yay for the newest addition to my stable of cookable dishes!!!

I then retired to consume the last of my sweets from my student lady and chat to some A-town kids online and basked in the glorious reflections of a clear Autumn day of leisure . . .

Too bad tomorrow will have to be spent doing a whole lot of study . . . However, I suppose one needs variation in order to appreciate the good times!

Tomorrow we plan to do some more cooking and watch a movie with one of our newer acquaintences . . . I like it when I have more time for trying out crazy new ideas of the culinary variety!

But for now, I'll to bed!

Oh yes!
This photo is of me and Ryoko on Sunday afternoon post walk to the top of Mt Misen, when we wandered out onto the sand in front of the Torii of the shrine. Photo is a bit dark - but it fulfills the touristy requirement of capturing us at yet another 'must-see' sight. Miyajima is quite lovely though . . I'm so lucky to be living in a region so close to a number of the 'must-sees' of Japan!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like the sweet life, I was not aware there was a place with Mr Donuts... Or people actually called Moe!

It's back to the officetastic tasks for me. Did you know my sister is called Tori (it's likely that you wouldn't). Doesn't that mean bird or chicken in Japanese?

8:33 AM  
Blogger Eleanora Martinez said...

It's actually written Mr Donut but given Japanese pronunciation patterns is called 'Misuta Donatsu'.

Does your sister really possess any avairan features ? Toothless beak or a tendency to poo whilst in fly ?
'Tori' 鳥 is a generic term for bird in Japanese whilst 'Niwa-tori' 鶏 specifically refers to chickens. If you can see this characters you might be able to notice that the right-hand side of the latter is in fact the same as the former - ingenious system, no ?

3:28 PM  
Blogger Eleanora Martinez said...

It's so not 10:28pm! It's 3:28 and I should be studying or at least trying to write this stupid thesis proposal! ahhhhhhhhhh!

3:29 PM  
Blogger Eleanora Martinez said...

Oh, and Moe is a girl and you say her name 'Mo-e' (the 'e' being like the first phoneme of 'ellie').
Rather than any pronunciation reminiscent of any bartender in The Simpsons.

Right - back to work

3:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She likes to perch and fossicks beachside for french fries - or should that be freedom fries?

What's sakatori then? (Do they have Sakata biscuits in Japan - what does Sakata mean?)

This is the sharing of culture. Settlers eat your heart out.

11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmmm donuts! in melbourne and sydney they have these donuts called 'krispy kreme' and denni is quite obsessed. they're just normal donuts but with a thin film of creamy icing over them. anything like that at misuta donatsu?

xo aliese

9:02 AM  
Blogger Eleanora Martinez said...

I remember thinking something about Sakata biscuits a while back as I think I came across some reference to the word but I forget now . . .
Sakatori rings no bells, but as already discussed 'tori' means bird, thus Yakitori is bird (gernerally chicken in the case of food) that has been 'yaki'ed (grilled, burned, cooked). I know not what Saka would be in reference to though the word 'saka' can mean 'refreshments' - all things depend on the kanji used to represent the word . . . I might ask someone for you if I remember . .

Krispy Kremes are an American thing, if my recoolection serves. Julie apparently had an addiction to them upon her return from her exchange to Seattle many moons ago but couldn't get them in Australia. I believe that she and Karl would oft-times discuss the sweet sweet virtues of said item . . . which lead to many a late-night visit into town to the Mr Donuts that was open til 11 or 12pm . . . I believe there are all sorts of exciting donuts you could wear yourself out on there - the most recent addition I have noticed is almond flavour but they look suspiciously milky.
Also at Mr Donuts they have recently branched out to serve Yum Cha - does that strike anyone else as odd ? BTW according to Ryoko Japanese boys don't tend to indulge in donuts and so she was surprised at all the boys from the kaikan being so keen on them . . .

PS Julie if you happen to read this clear out your bloody inbox or you'll never get my emails!

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home