Friday, November 11, 2005

東大寺 (Toudaiji - Toudai (east+big) temple)


東大寺
Originally uploaded by Yukata Me.
Man, do we ever look hot in this photo! Strange that it's now so chilly it's getting hard to remember how unbareable the heat seemed to become.

I dazzled a boy with my wits and Japanese language prowess to get him to take this photo - He then insisted on taking another (this one) as he felt his first effort left something to be desired. We probably looked better in the first but you can see the temple better. This building houses the large buddha that I posed earlier and I believe it is the largest, or one of, wooden structure in the world. But when you consider that this current building is significantly smaller than the original, which was destroyed by fire, like so many other old sites in Japan!
Even as it is the building is impressive in scope - I loved the innumerable beams, lofty ceiling and massive wooden support pillars like the monstrous trunks of some giant man-made forest.

I wanted to post a photo that I took of the city lights from my bedroom window last night as a battled insomnia til 2am (does that count as insomnia ?) But somehow I messed up yesterday and my photos got posted up twice thus using all of my months downloads - dammmit! I was being so sparing!

Anyway, you'll have put up with this one of Mum and me in Nara - apart from bein so hot the sky was a perfect blue and it was an enjoyable day. I even managed to ring the special Tofu and Vegetable restuarant that I like to frequent when in Kyoto and make a booking for that evening! Yay for superior phone-calling skills!
Unfortunately, while the restuarant is great and the food amazing, a large group of gaijin came in halfway through our meal and reduced the experience for me considerably - but that is a story for another day!
I should try and do a little study before I go downhill again and have to return to bed!

I read an entire book yesterday! It was an easy and amusing read, but now I'm onto The Origins of the Japanese Language - damn it's a heavy tome! Not so much in weight but in style. The author has just spent 30 pages of convolutedly constructed sentences defining the precise meaning of the title - for goodness sakes man! Get your act and editor together!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home