Sunday, June 25, 2006

When you're down and troubled . . .

. . . put up a visitors map on your blog and whether or not it's accurate it will make you feel vaguely popular! At least, when it finally starts counting!

Things I have done of late . . .
On Thursday: I was up til the early hours working on my presentation for Thursday. Kumi-chan then checked it for me but it's was pretty good which was reassuring. Annoying, we then ran out of time in the class so despite being extra prepared and having an interesting activity to do so that peoople are involved, I wasn't able to do it justice and just had to give out the answers which was so frustrating. イライラする! 不満!!!!!

On Friday:
I went to a kindy and taught 5 year olds Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and then was flavour of the month out in the playground.
Met visting Fulbright professors at Shudo and showed them around the Uni before heading into town for Okonomiyaki. Lane and I had an interesting chat with out female taxi driver as waited outside the hotel. The young bloke serving us at the Okonomiyaki Mura was a laugh a minuute communicating with limited English (YEesssssss! NOoooooo! Are you listening to meeee?) to the women professors.
Then a group of us headed of to the baseball - Carp won!
We then went out drinking with Otsu-san and then I trundled home on my bike happily inebriated and mumbling along to my Japanese MD.
I then messed around this morning and dashed into town for the baseball again, this time with Yoko. Carp looked like winning the whole time then Yokohama suddenly got about 5 people round in one innings or whatever and we lost!!! What the ?!! びっくり!
I also got a little pink one shoulder without realising - darn! Sooo sticky too!
Yoko and I took purikura and then I rushed off on my bike over to the station for the reception with the Fulbrights. Had some interesting talks . . . one about indigenous student in New Mexico . . a similar situation to that of Aboriginals in Oz.
THEN karaoke . . . I got lost at this point but eventually found my way there and had may great singing victories and now my teacher wants to try and get me a job singing here. It was a very nostalgic night as the majority of people in the room were over 40 and thus living it up with 60s songs - Yes, I knew every word along with the rest and Lane and I did a perfect duet rendition of Aqua's Barbie Girl, to raptuous applause . . Yes, it's great to know that 6 years of operatic training has prepared me so well for life in Japan.
Then I rode home in the sticky heat, following my instincts along unknown streets and a river that was very pretty in the dark. The family were having a party with four other families from the apartment building (but they call apartments 'mansions' here) Everyone has just gone home - it was quite enjoyable - and Hide was drunk as a skunk . . . the kids were running about crazily - so lively for such a late hour.

2am . . . Maybe I'll be exhausted enough just to fall into a calm sleep for once.
Had two showers already tonight but wishing for another.
LOTR - The Fellowship of the Ring was on TV here tonight (Japanese, of course!) . . I got home in time to see Aragorn hack off the awful ring-leader Urukhai's head in that hilariously cliqued moment as Boromir breathes his last and Sam and Frodo head off alone.

Sadly, in variance with the movie, it occurs to me that my Frodo and Sam will never again see their Merry and Pippin . . That's right Ned, such is life (and if this won't get the fire started nothing will!)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

see what did i tell you! you could even get a job singing in fancy hotels (like in 'lost in translation' - Adelaides Catherine Lambert became a movie star as the hotel entertainment).
..and when you come home we'll record your award winning j-pop album.

5:17 PM  
Blogger Eleanora Martinez said...

Yeah - it was funny when that movie became such a hit because I remembering hearing about it from Catherine Lambert's Mum, Margaret who was my accompanist for the later part of my degree - Such a lovely lady - I have been thinking of that movie lately - I loved the hospital scene - I wonder if my host family know the movie . . Oo - dinner time!

J-pop hall of fame - Here I come!

9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home