Wednesday, June 07, 2006

6/6/6

二00六年六月六日

Was I the only one vaguely excited by the date yesterday ?
I remember being in primary school and the teacher pointing out that the year was palondromic . . . and I'm don't mean 2002.

No response to my victoriously sent email yesterday . . .

日本っぽくない? (Rather Japanesey photo hey . . lanterns, yukata, old black and white stone wall, long grasses that spring up so suddenly in the moist warm early summer)
It was a lovely night wandering around Kasaoka before the race the next day. There was lots of locals out enjoying the festival atmosphere . . . eating mochi, catching goldfish from little pools with a net (which I hate . . . so many of them must die that it seems such an awful thing to do) . . . members of our group were amusingly tipsy or rollicking drunk and the lovely thing about the heat in Japan is that nights don't really ever get cold like they can in Australia . . . So we were trundling around the riverside with a clear sky and moon looming large with a perfectly comfortable breeze.
I also developed the most amazingly bubbly and huge blister between my big and adjacent toe . . . a wonder to behold!

Today I have boring class and lunch with a friend . . have lots of work to be doing so might go in early . . . . Maki will be leaving for America next week as well and I have yet to see her . . . I'd better do so before she leaves otherwise who knows how many years it'll be before I see the closest person I've had to family in Japan again.
Right! Time to get on with the morning!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

even tho yest was 6-6-6, today seems to like me less, not once but twice this morning i nearly got run over trying to cross the road by 2 cars simultaneously doing u-turns within the same 5m but in opposite directions! so as i dodge one the other pulls out too! twice!
but on a better note i randomly ran into my dad on my walk past SAFF!

11:25 AM  
Blogger Eleanora Martinez said...

Weird . . Adelaide is one very small place . . . had he even told you he was in town ?!!

3:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ellie, It's a long weekend here and Jarrod's exams start on Tues so we can't go anywhere. So I've got time to read your blog. Yay! Was down in Adelaide last weekend for Jamie's wedding which was really nice - got to catch up with Cathy, Sal, Belinda and Joanne. I did notice the date on Tuesday and rather superstitiously made sure I wrote the zero in the year column. Don't know what I was trying to avoid - you can't conjure the beast because he's always around and Jesus' blood protects anyway - but it was on the news that women were trying not to give birth on 6/6/6. Maybe they thought the babies would grow horns ... Take care. Michelle

2:01 PM  
Blogger Eleanora Martinez said...

Crazy world hey!!
I was surprised and pleased to hear of Jamie's wedding - Sal sent some photos and it all looked like a lot of fun. Pass on my congratulations to her someone!

5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home