Wednesday, May 17, 2006

不機嫌

Today started out okay. I did sleep in a little, but then again, I was up late.
I got going on some study and the highly positive aspects of homestay were reenforced when I was able to get a whole lot of questions answered about the meanings of words that weren't in the dictionary.
Japanese has a very particular usage of onomatopoeia that makes English's usage pale in comparison. For example, we have a whole lot of different individual words to describe the ways in which people might 'laugh' - grin, smile, beam, giggle, smirk, etc. In Japanese these actions are described by using adverbs, so that the basic phrase will always be 'laughing' but you can 'nikoniko warau' 'niyaniya warau' 'kusukusu warau' and on and on. The number of these words is vast and half of them aren't in your standard dictionary or if they are they're flipping hard to find!
Simiarly, in Japanese there will be words that in English are a whole phrase . . these can be especially hard to locate if you happen to forget them!

Anyway, I digress . . .
It is raining again. I became lateish through being engrossed in my study but decided to walk to the train anyway because I heard that a typhoon is on it's way as I was getting ready. If umbrellas and typhoons are not a good mix I hardly feel the need to point out the degree to which bikes and typhoons are to be avoided. Especially as the wind howls down the valley and riverbed on average days, meaning that crossing the bridge can be a wavering experience.

I made it to school in perfect time but suddenly became aware of the hole that had presented itself in my new socks upon their first wear. CHINA!
No worries - turn them around - problem solvered.
Cafeteria full - no troubles - let's eat in the International Exchange office.
No, I can't sing at your function this month because I will be participating in a boat race festival!
Go to the 教務課 (kyoumuka - 'study general relations department')? Must I ? That just means trouble . . .
Arrival at class - Straight to the kyoumuka with you! Bugger! A month into classes and they realise that despite the teacher, time and subject contents being entirely different, because they have assigned the same course code to the subject I can't take it! Arse . . . haven't I been through this before ?! Japan is a land of bureaucracy! . . and it cannot be breached.


Hmmmmph . . . 不機嫌 (ふきげん fukigen) . . . ill-tempered!

Sent a grumpy email - have sent apologetic one in its wake.

Wiz, I failed . . . I read a lot whole, but am doing okay. Maybe the worst has passed . . . . Here's to fooling myself!

Who decided to call my skin white ? In this weather it goes all blotchy and purple - how unsightly!

It looks like things will work out okay with the subjects - I don't have to take up any new ones due to taking extra classes last year. Go me.

Too late for me now though . . . 不機嫌!

Homework to be done. A typhoon to be had . . . maybe I should head home to avoid hitting the worst of it later.

Incidentally, did you know that the word typhoon comes from the Japanese 台風 (たいふう taifuu) . . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home