Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Tokyo Friends . . . 東京の友達


箱根で船に乗った
Originally uploaded by Yukata Me.
Andrew and I braving the cool cool temperatures out on the ferry at Hakone. I was very skeptical about going on a tour . . . tour travel is not really what'd consider to be my cup of tea but I'm so glad that Andrew talked me into it! Now I can say that I have done the touristy thing of seeing and going to Mt Fuji. I have seen Fuji from the Chuo Freeway . . . I was concerned as to what this promise in the leaflet would actually provided us with . . a fly-by look at powerlines and smog over freeway guardrails? The thought was positively breathtaking for all the wrong reasons.
However, after the fairly taxing time of self-directed touring in Nikko and the seemeingly requisite late-night angsty and philosophical talks the previous day, the bus tour was bliss and the perfect choice - You win Andrew! We also met some lovely people whom I hope to meet again someday.

Tonight I am going out for dinner with Andrew, Samantha (his lady-friend) and Wiz. We plan on having a (fair) bit of Japan-related reminiscencing going down . . lucky that Sam lived in Kyoto for two years and that Wiz loves sushi!

The nature of friendship really is something that has really had me thinking these past few months. Strange how is can take years and millions of miles for things to work again after they have gone awry . . and brilliant! I was dubious as to how much enjoyment Andrew and I might actually get out of catching up and hanging out in Japan considering the practically non-existent state of our relationship when in Adelaide prior to my year in Hiroshima. Now I can't wait to catch up with these two and am anticipating having a lovely time. Adelaide being as small as it is we have already bumped into each other on a number of occasions but I am looking forward to a lively night of jovial banter.

Funny that we couldn't think where we ought to go . . . Andrew said he'd never liked Japanese food before his trip there but now he loves the stuff. Silly us . . wasn't the choice obvious ?! Thus I belatedly decided we should go to Genki off Gouger but now I have suddenly remembered that I have been wanting to go back to Matsuri on Gouger for some time . . . choices choices! Really should get ready now.

But it is interesting to me the way that human relationships fluctuate, grow or die the way they do. Being away from my hometown certainly encouraged me to get past many of my qualms when it comes to 'making friends and (not necessarily) influencing people'!

Wow! There is a kookaburra sitting in the tree out the window in front of me as I sit and type. I heard some too the other day when out at a picnic. Ahhh . . it's nice to be home.

However, it has been short and bittersweet for the time has come, the walrus said. In a week I shall be relievedly back on a plane and returning to Japan. Only catch being that I discovered yesterday that my flight via Singapore will also mysteriously touch down for a time in Bangkok . . WHY?!!! The upshot of this is that I had to be booked in immediately for an operation on my ear so that I didn't suffer immense pain in the whole operation . . well, I'm not sure I saved myself so much pain given how much the needle hurts when they inject anesthetic right down inside your ear, but now I can rest assured that I won't want to commit 'seppuku' at every take off and landing.

I am thinking that there will most likely be a gathering of some kind or another to enable to at least make eye-contact with all of those people I have not been fortunate enough to bump into for far on my holiday back in A-town.

Righto . . this has been a scatty post rather unrelated to current events. It has been odd to be in tourist mode despite being in the place you grew up so I plan to take advantage of this and post some fairly typical photos and posts just to document things while they feel slightly novel.
"Life's what happens to you while you're busy making other plans", isn't it just?!

In brief:
Best wishes for a quick and complete recovery to Dean.

Happy Birthdays to . . .
The lovely Shelley for the other week
The vibrant and loyal Beenz, also for the other week.

Right! Must dash!!!!! ワープ!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wasn't the Japanese food delicious last night? I was looking for a chance to bring out the catchcry - 'You must put!' - all night but it wasn't to be. Never mind. Thanks for a brilliant time in Tokyo, Nikko, Hakone. It's very cool to have dusted off the friendship. Be sure to keep in touch when you're back in Nihon, Andrew.

6:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi Ellie, hadn't looked at your site for a while. You were hanging out with Andrew and Wiz! How amazing that seems, me being in Berlin. Had a moment tonight when i dreamed of waking up in my own Adelaide-bed. Hope you are well. Cheers
Brian

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey guys!

The Japanese was delicious!... but i have a sneaky feeling that the chef wasn't actually japanese!.. i think it was something to do with the way he wore his turban :)

I had a lovely time last night. It was good to see andrew again, and a pleasure to meet Samantha. - Thanks for inviting me ellie!

Brian: I do beleive that if we could have squeezed one more person onto our tiny, overcrowded, table, it should have been you. - If only i had thought to give you a call and put it on handsfree!... ohwell, promise i'll do it next time. - Hope you're having fun in berlin.

Ellie: You rock. If you dont come back in six months, i'm coming over there and dragging you back! :)

Wiz

1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home