Thursday, March 02, 2006

Auslandia . . .

There's no place like home bringing out the neuroses in us all!!

I'm back.
It's day 3.
I made lots of appointments for the needful yesterday and then even got as social as to hang out on a roof in metropolitan A-town, go out for dinner at an old favourite and then my intrepid friends and I ventured over to check out the Fringeyness going down in the East End.
Adelaide . . . the first five minutes in town and I've already seen numerous people I know and tried to land myself in it by calling someone's new girlfriend by the old one's name . . . jetlag ?
That Garden of Hoops and Wheels or whatever it is was like a hive of peeps from the Adelaide scene which more than being a fun reunion of happy reminisences caused me a reasonable amount of angst and grief. Oh how wonder I knew it would be to come home . . . well, can't really complain about the weather except that I don't have a bike for taking leisurely cruises about on and I don't have anyone go with as most people have lives which means that they are busy.

Hmmmm . . . I try to be positive on this blog as a rule but that policy seems to have gone out the window somewhat today.

Made a tricky phone call today . . . I seemed to have developed some sort of allergy for porcelain . . . Every time I have a shower tears spring to my eyes . . and last night I have a violent reaction that was almost akin to hysterical weeping whilst in the toilet . . . first milk and wheat . . now china! What shall I do ? Become a bubble girl ?

But I am looking forward to going out tonight to see some bands that I haven't heard for a long time - also hanging out with Jess-Jess should be way cool.
I did also score a new necklace last night as I left all of mine in Hiroshima because it has been too cold for anything much but scarves around one's neck of late. My newest favourite colour is orange - it's the new black!

Before I came home I dashed to Tokyo for a flying trip of random sightseeing and hanging out with Andrew, an old friend from A-town. It was unexpectedly brilliant and was one of the highlights of the past 6 months which was been rather grim.
WELCOME HOME ANDREW! I bet you are at the beach now - exactly where you wanted to be!! Perfect weather for it!

Damn I don't get Australian phones and their predictive text - I want 'go' not 'in'!! Jeezzzz . . why can't my lovely Japanese phone work here . . sadness. It just took me about 5 minutes to write a few sentences . . and unlike when I first arrived in Japan it wasn't because I couldn't speak the language - I simply couldn't figure out the machinery!

Where are my Dorothy shoes ? Oh yes . . they're giving me blisters . . . and where would they take me anyway ? Back to much smaller naiton of islands ?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey El,
Glad to have you back! I hope to see you soon - i have started doing prac again suddenly so busy!! My dad will probably be in adelaide tuesday next week as well.

8:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ellie. I guess this is my 15 minutes of Andy Warhol, or something. Thanks for a brilliant time in Nihon. It was amazingly fun, but I'm not sure why I'm so surprised about that. I'll see you round the 'laide.

8:44 AM  
Blogger Eleanora Martinez said...

Am I missing something ? Where does Andy Warhol come into the equation ? I must reread my own post . . . BTW, speaking of art . . . go see the Biennial . . anyone - everyone! Go Go GO!!!

10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home