Monday, May 15, 2006

Shanghai - tourist trap but pretty


Shanghai
Originally uploaded by Yukata Me.
I haven't finished uploading my photos as I was working under harried conditions the other day; exchange student moonlighting as a babysitter, so I am getting ahead of myself and things will be rather out of order . . . Regardless, I thought I'd pop this photo up as a nice little reminder of my trip and as thanks to SareB and Andrew for the emails.

To me, this photo is rather iconically Chinese but in fact not much like the China I saw. After a reasonably extensive amount of experince travelling overseas I have come to expect that the stereotypical images you see plastered about the people are likely to be the last thing you see when in the country itself. This is by no means a bad thing, on the whole, but it's nice to get a taste of the fantastic and exotic from time to time.

I had many a random and amazing experience whilst in China. Travelling with a Chinese person made a big difference to what we were able to do, see and where we could go. Every moment was not blissfully enjoyable but it certainly was an incredible time.

The bus whose engine exuded smoke into the bus interior and provided me with a toasty seat on perfect warm sunny days. The ideal opportunity to perfect the art of positioning flannels over one's mouth and nose. Kept in place by a head scarf gifted to me by my siblings in a time of need.

Driving, at dusk, along narrow roads carved into cliff faces high up in the mountains near Tibet, lost in thought pondering life and the magic of the landscape that had artistic impulse racing.

A massage at 3am following a session with some crazy boys from the Chinese backsticks, now living in Shanghai. A laughed myself silly - I have always been unbelievably ticklish! Everyone else proceeded to fall asleep around me so in the end I decided it mightn't be such a bad this to follow suit so that in the morning we might have another chance for a repeat performance. I awoke hours later feeling the most energetic I have felt in a loooonnnggg time. Wish I could have brought one of the massage boys back with me . . . I could really do with a invigorating massage right now! All this study kills my back . . . ahhhh all fantasies aside I should head off to 6th period - yuck!

Tell me why ?! I don't like Mondayssss
. . . because I have to leave the house at 8am and classes don't finish until 8pm! Not to mention the awful grammar class that rolls around at 2:30.

ALSO a belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO SARAH for the other week - I have been compiling a parcel for over a month! I promise it will be on its way soon!

Yesterday I made strawberry filled crepes for my host mum because my own mum is so far away. Then we had a nice family outing into the countryside to visit host dad's mum on the family farm. That done I feel asleep for a couple of hours before working into the wee small hours on insurmountable loads of study. Who needs so many kanji ?? Come on Japan!

Must away!

1 Comments:

Blogger Eleanora Martinez said...

Why thank you anonymous! Are you trying suggest something ?

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home