Saturday, December 31, 2005

紅葉と雪


紅葉と雪
Originally uploaded by Yukata Me.
A rather amazing combination of key seasonal symbols . . . 紅葉 (Momiji - Maple leaves) on 雪 (Yuki - Snow) that I took a few weekends ago when out of a walk with Lane to show him Shukkeien (a garden that features many little miniture representations of various esteemed landscape styles or views). Both are images synonymous with autumn and winter respectively, and it's not that common to get together them in such striking quantites.

Before Japan began using the Gregorian calendar in the 1800s a lunar calendar, like that of China, was used and the New Year was in fact celebrated around the beginning of Spring. It has felt a little like Spring of late here but I am sure we will have a reappearance of snow again in February, as is usual!

I loved the contrast of colours between the clean snow and the fallen leaves - terribly picture-perfect I thought. I found it very calming to just vague out looking at.

It's clear and blue outside again today, but cold of course - I am about to head off to stay at Maki's for New Year's. Apparently we will be making 御節料理 (Osechi cuisine - traditional New Year's food) and other than that am not too sure quite what we will be doing but am looking forward to a bit of an enforced break . . leaving the laptop behind to reduce temptation! I will be sure to take lots of photos!

So anyway, hope you all have a nice night tonight and see in the New Year in plenty of style! I wish everyone the very best for what is sure to be yet another year of amazing changes and experiences! Take care and I hope to see you all some time soon in the future!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home