Thursday, November 02, 2006

Grey skies and lack of inspiration

Waiting for people to come and see the car we're trying to sell.
I know very little about it but have ended up today's delegate.
They should have been here a while ago. Just before I saw a bit of a hoon car pull up and sit across the road for a few minutes and then roar off. Maybe they took one look and decided not to even bother coming to the door. Even though they drove from Elizabeth to see it.
Not sure we'll even get the lump of metal off our hands.

Did another job application on Tuesday. Still no response confirming they got my application.
It'd be a great job to get and I think I could do it well . . . but how knows . . .
Still no word back with verdict from the interview last week, but although it went okay I don't hold out a great amount of hope.

Monday was a bit of a write-off day . . . already can't remember how I wasted it. Other than pilates in the evening.

Tuesday . . . Got up to be informed Beenz had a gentleman caller - one of the boys that I have been less approving of . . . So I was distracted from writing job applications by their presence. Had a chat to him. Was pleasantly surprised, but maybe he'd been briefed . . . Can it just be coincidence that he seems to be a LOTR fan ? "Have I seen the movies?"
Went to the physio . . . thrilling stuff. I had fun, but really this doesn't seem to be the stuff of which interesting posts are made . . .

I feel like I have nothing interesting to say anymore.
Is it the simple fact that I'm no longer commenting on life in an alien land and culture?

As Josh so kindly pointed out, he thought my blog had died with my return to A-town. Given that I am no longer in "the land of the rising sun", as Pippa so eloquently put it.
But the blog goes on . . the blog goes onnnnn.
Why ?
Because it's become a bit of a habit.
But I feel doubtful that I have much an audience for the mundane and the menial that passes for the life and times of me these days.

And so continue the litany . . .
Tuesday afternoon . . . wrote the job application with great zeal and then rode over to S&A's place for various reasons . . . 1) perfect weather 2) peak hour traffic that I'd rather ride than drive in 3) the need to use functioning internet 4) discussion and rehearsal of music stuff 5) the transference of photos from memory stick to computer.
6) and not least, the enjoyment of pleasant company

Met extended and immediate folks for dinner on Gouger.
Then enjoyed a solitary ride home in the cool night.
Read more of LOTR until late . . . funny how now I've read it a fair bit the chapters fly past but I'm still reading in such a way that I take in new bits and rediscover forgotten lines each time.

Wednesday . . . dragged myself out of bed for a challenging pilates class that I almost forgot.
Managed to upload photos to flickr, wash my hair and just make it in to meet Ry for lunch. Had Bibimbap, which was decent. I really liked it when in Korea, and used to have it a bit in Japan.
That is my 'osusume'  おすすめ (my recommendation) for all of you culinary goers out there.
Then we wandered into town looking for a present for Ry's niece, generally discussing life and catching up with each other's doings and thinkings of the past 6 months; 2 years. Then instead of 3pm coffee we ended up drinking with Beth-the-house-and-workmate at the Stag. Much conversation and alcohol were had, but I wasn't really feeling it when we tottered off in time to bump into Sare-b on her way to meet me for movie-viewing.
We parted ways with Ry and Beth, heading on up to the academy. Where we met S&A.
My right eye contact fell out halfway through Flags of Our Fathers . . . I was stuck in the middle of a row though so had little choice but to sit there with one irritated eye shut or blurry vision. Took the edge of the movie's impact somewhat but not to worry . . . the gore was still clearly visible and even with both contacts in place I hardly recognised Ryan Philippe anyway . . .
War . . . it's just an awful thing and people should be forced to watch this kind of thing more often . . then maybe some might start to wonder how it is that this is possibly considered a way for the resolution of conflict. The world is nuts.
It made me think a lot of how all these war films are received . . . That Pearl Harbour thing which I never deigned to see . . . When I was first in Japan there was a lot of talk about the filming of a movie the translated titles of which would be something like "Men of the Yamato". The Yamato was one of the biggest battleships ever built in the world and it was sunk in a bay . . . I think in Kure or somewhere. It was partially filmed in Onomichi, to coastal town not far from Hiroshima and I visited the set with friends - NB the WORST toilets I ever experienced in Japan - something akin to those in China.
There was concern about Men of the Yamato . . . would it incite more nationalistic fervour ? Given all of the talk about Yasakuni jinja and A-class war criminals was the portrayal of these men of war a good or bad thing ? I never ended up seeing it.
But why did it occasion such discussion ? Is it because the Japanese lost the war; that history pins them down as the losers and thus the unrighteous ; the less worthy; the baddies.
Does victory make the nationalistic and purile Pearl Harbour any more correct and acceptable than Men of the Yamato ?
It is all sad and a waste.
Then and now. So many more important things that money could be spent on.
But funds are poured out to provide mediocre fodder for the consumerist masses and it's just depressing.

And so is this.

After the movie, more pleasant conversation was had in lovely company.
Then I rode home again through the night to a darkened house.
Read more LOTR and woke up to this grey morning.

And still no one comes for the car.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home