Monday, November 06, 2006

A weekend of projects and socializationing


My cousin Jess ended up staying with us on the weekend after she called me up on Thursday to see if I was in the country. We haven't seen each other for a few years and it was good to catch up. Beenz and Jess had a craving for sushi . . . as Jess said she finds the cuisine of Horsham a little limited . . . "I feel like I'm back in civilisation and eating proper food again". . . "No steak and chips"
What would people of only 50s year ago thought of this comment . . . The food cultures of this country have changed so drastically . . it's incredible.
The dishes were beautifully presented and I can't imagine why anyone would go to anywhere that wasn't Sushi Train.
Though Genki is probably best.

It was interesting to hear her perspective on family stuff and see that no matter the paths we all tread to get where we are today . . . no matter the past we can communicate these days. Family . . .

Apparently they'll be around for Xmas in the Mt this year so that'll swell it to 4 of the 6 of the "kids" . . should be interesting to see how it all turns out. I wonder who it was that ever thought that getting large numbers of obsessive and neurotic family members together in a small confined space with the task of getting along and producing a large-scale meal would be a good way to create a festive and enjoyable atmosphere and event.
Well, Nan is more spaced out these days so it just washes over her and she's ceased to get upset.
If we can keep some of the mothers and daughters, brothers and sisters in separate corners then we might get through.
Perhaps we'll just head off to the far less complex Martin homestead. We stopped doing that a long time ago when Mum and I started to take on a pivotal role in actually producing the Xmas lunch . . . last year it didn't happen and while I spent the day as a spent it far far away in J-land the fam pigged out on a gourmet meal as prepared by my uncle and cousins.

Then in March the entire extended Harris clan will be coming together for Nan's 90th.
It's going to be a season of family stuff . . weird.


Spent most of the afternoon on Saturday at the Central markets . . . Chai, organic strawberries and sitting in the sun.

I've been loving renewing ties back in A-town. Well, not so much renewing in a way but networking in a new ways but in the same places.
Geet and I have been spending significant numbers of hours at various produce market venues and it's such great fun. I want to work at the markets!! I love the networking aspect and talking to people about the products that they produce and are so passionate about.

On Friday night at a dinner a slightly barbed query as to whether I was stilllll studying had me thinking. There's no way I would give up what I've done. No one can make me feel bad about my choice to leave and go away. The last 18 months of my life I have spent in a way that was so valuable. I am so happy when I consider what I have done and no amount of snideness will ever make me think it wasn't a brilliant way to spend my life.
Can everyone say the same ?? I hope so.
One of the worst feelings I get is associated with the thought that I am squandering the light and time of my life.
Still no job . . . but I've suddenly gained motivation for a various projects and so that feeling has featured less this weekend. I did a whole lot of cleaning and tidying . . . painting and organising.

This morning I've been reading up on JET and all of the stuff I need to get together for my application, due December 1st. Need to get a move long and organise my referees . . . Have it in mind to ask Parker from Shudo for one . . . but who to get to do the second ??
Then there's a rather odd personal medical analysis form.

I'm all confuddled about electing preferences for where I might like to work should I actually be successful in my application . . . Do I want to go back to Hiroshima ? Or do I want to be in that area but a different town ? Or do I want to go somewhere completely different ? Okinawa ?
There are seemingly lots of posts to be had in Shimane generally so maybe my chances would be better if I applied for there . . it's a beautiful prefecture and not far from Hiroshima . . . I'd be close to my Japanese family and friends but also somewhere different . . . but still in the country which I think is probably more likely to prove the more interesting and edifying option.
Hmmmmmmm

Saturday night .....
Went to karaoke with a group of lovely peeps.
Whilst I think that a good time was had by all I must take Tom-of-the-House-of-Organics-and-extreme-dance-moves-and-Japanese-prowess's advice and check out the more low-key karaoke booth further down the street from K-box because as an experienced user of various karaoke machine I can honesty say that K-box is a joke! And while there may be categories for male and female singers and bands the distinction between the three seemed to get a little fuzzy . . or almost non-existent . . . Bet you didn't know that Bruce Springstein was in fact a female artist ?!
I also found it almost impossible to locate any recent J-pop.
But there was sure some enjoyable septets going on at the end of the night . . . Crowded House went down amusingly and we were in hysterics at Kara's rendition of The Bee Gees "You Should Be Dancing".
Then went down to JIVE for a last drink and heard ABC for the millionth time . . . and we have the inevitable giggle at intonation as only pansy music nerds can.


Anyone have any suggestions as to what one can give a couple who have anything they are likely to need already ? Engagement parties! Phffft!
Ever heard of de facto ?

5 Comments:

Blogger High Power Rocketry said...

: )

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

k-box was so strange..
just the concept of sitting on a couch with your friends singing at a tv is strange to me..
the rules of sing-star are that you have to stand up and dance..
and the one thing i loved about karaoke at stix (now i'm showing my age) is that you had to stand on a stage and perform.

so! can i come to the other karaoke place on hindley with you? i promise i wont get grumpy/tired -it can't be as shit as k-box.
and then - karaoke at shotz!!

4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Am i counted as one of the kids? - em

5:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My granddad recently celebrated his 70-something-th with a big family get together. For a gift, one of my uncles got drunk and punched him in the face. No matter the past, we can still communicate our feelings - Ah family.

Working at the markets is overrated, but if you're keen talk to Jules. She'll hook you up.

Okinawa - while they still speak Japanese, it's a somewhat different culture to the mainland. Plus the guys I met from there were entertaining. Ok Bok-u-jo

7:58 AM  
Blogger Eleanora Martinez said...

Wow . . so many comments . .

Sair...
I didn't like to say but K-box was terrible hey!! For sure-o let's hit the next karaoke spot!
You know that it is kind of funny sitting down and singing - I generally used to get tipsy and then dance all over the place to the great amusement of my more demure friends.
We should crack out sing-star some night!

Nah . . sorry Em, you're far too young to be one of the "kids". BTW did discuss your proposal for the 90th with Jess. But I suppose we'll be able to do that again anyway in only a short while.

Dan, 70 is waaayyy young for a grandpa! For the record I like that given I used to avoid certain cousinly members of my family like the plague we can now comfortably be in the same room! But I've never punched anyone . . . maybe I should have tried that.
Jules works at the market these days ? I haven't seen her there . . .

Okinawa has a good reputation precisely because it is so different. It apparently has a thriving music scene and people don't all pack up and go home at 10pm.
Choices choices . . .

9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home