Sunday, September 17, 2006

A wrong time to visit . . . ?



Home after a week away. Somehow this one seemed harder than the last. It's really nice to be home. I think it's been a bit more taxing because I've been the one very much in charge again; leading someone else around and being responsible for them. Beenz has been sick since she arrived and this has made things rather tricky. I think she's enjoying the day off today - watching Howl's Moving Castle and hanging about resting. Think we might change plans and stay for tomorrow too.

Seems to be odd comment season in the land of blogginess . . . There was a comment on my blog from some unknown person to the effect that I had made a mistake by being in and travelling about Japan in September. Amusing. According to this person the ONLY time to visit Japan is Cherry Blossom Season . . . I'm here at COMPLETELY the WRONG time! How silly of me!! Should have known that countries of the world have very specific dates, excepting which, it's not worth seeing them!Given that I've been here for two of those brief seasons now and would hardly think that I fall under the short travel category of visitors to Japan it made me laugh. This year what has struck me on my travels is . . . what a difference a year makes . . . My interests have changed after a year here. Why is it that tourists are hell bent on Temple-Burn-Out ?? Sure, that's an interesting aspect of Japan . . a part of the traditions of the country but there is so much that is far removed from that. Sure, when I first saw the effect of masses of Sakura I was impressed. My imagination had always failed me when trying to conceive of why Japanese people seemed to become so transfixed by the whole Sakura viewing thing.

For me, Japan has become normal. Didn't really expect this. I know that other friends who'd been here longer seemed to be surprised at my interests in aspects of Japan sometimes and now I'm on the way to understanding. Japan is the country where I live and it's losing some of the alien, freshness that it used to possess. I still love being here but what I enjoy most has altered a little.
I'm glad to be HOME - in Hiroshima. I love playing with the kids, wandeirng to the shops together, joking with Kumi - being made fun of.


But we've had a great week, none-the-less......
* Took some nice photos.
*Had some amazing talks with Beenz. These have lead to a few unexpectedly but rather eye-opening revelations - Emotions have suddenly started flowing in a way that shocks me.
*Stayed in some lovely places and ate yummy food.
*Met some lovely peeps. Matt and Jake in Nara were a highlight!
**Perhaps the most amazing and noteworthy!! I got PUNCHED by a BAGLADY in Osaka!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

did you bite the bag lady back? that's my suggestion for crazy people...

5:55 PM  
Blogger Eleanora Martinez said...

Rene took a photo . . does that count ?
I was sooo shocked!! As was Ryoko who decided she needed to apologise on behalf the Japanese as a nation.
Osaka is insane! Not like the polite Hiroshima where you hardly see a peep of the homelessness that must be present.
But I really didn't want to pay 1000yen for a stem of dodgey old flowers that probably came from the bin out the back of a florist!

12:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home