Thursday, July 20, 2006

A little afternoon blogging to relax by . . .

I'm feeling distressingly contented having just completed my final presentation for one Japanese class (6 exams and an essay to go - 3 exams on one day!! Monday no less!). I have done better - presented more cooherent and easily understandable things before but today I had to explain 2 books worth of story and couldn't come up with a good way to present them with pictures. It took me too much time to get down but oh well . . . My teacher praised me for my hard work this semester, saying she now understands how hard I work - cf last year when she gave me a rather awful mark for the same class because I spent many of her classes in silent tears of despair and frustration for various reasons and then missed a week of school and my turn to present. She said to hand up whatever I'd done but the truth was I'd never done anything and I was too depressed or drunk or busy trying not to be depressed that I gave it up for a lost cause and enjoyed myself as best I could.
Yeah! for being finished!
The distressing aspect is that I should be firmly and steadfastly focussed on exam preparation but instead I am here wasting time (But I am documenting! Which is what I wanted last week or was that this week - seems a long time ago)
And tomorrow we have our farewell party. I still don't want to leave - for a whole host of reasons. Glad I still have a little while left.

What follows is an anecdote . . I can't vouch for its amusement factor but it was intended to be funnyish. I got distracted . . . it got long . . this is your warning! . . . . .
Whilst I know that my fancy for colour coordination has always been amusing . . Over here is has become something of a talking point with Alex regularly commenting that I have far too many sets of ornamentation and an seemingly endless concoction of combinations (Do you know I just had to look that word up in the dictionary by entering the Japanese equivalent to come out with English - what am I coming to? This is a frightening new development!) Today as it is wet, again, but simultanesouly and unseasonably cool I decided to wear a new three-quarter length sleeved blue to I got at a bargain price at Comme Ca (then Kumi insisted on giving it to me as a present) along with a new green cap (I would have worn Sarah's lovely blue one but was worried about it getting ruined in the rain and knew that the seagreen woolly one I acquired on the weekend would be okay) to keep the rain from running down my face. *I got up at 7am having gone to bed at 2:30am so that I could come to school early but there was a little rain starting as I was about to leave at 8am so I decided to wait it out a little. It only got worse! Turning out to be the previously forecast downpours seemingly all saved up from the last couple of days when it's poured all over the place but here it seems. At 9:30 I gave myself up for a drowned rat and took off sans umbrella. It was lovely. I have developed a great affinity for walking and riding in the rain. I have been going for long walks of a night and the rain and sweat (which no longer bothers quite so much as it used to - the immediate coating when doing nothing at all incurred by the stupidly high humidity).
Anyway, in typical fashion I am getting overly word and rambling wayyyyyyy off the point. The point was that I decided I couldn't be bothered missing my last chance to have lunch in the food hall with Alex and Risa so I chose to not wrote my impression of the manga for the presentation but go and see them. Lisa got a cold and couldn't come to my birthday party so today she brought along a little present she had organised - I really must learn how to say 'You didn't have to, but it's very kind of you' in Japanese . . .
It was blue beaded bracelet (sorely lacking in bracelets - wish I had been less restrained in China) that perfectly tones in with my outfit! As Alex noted, lookng under the table, 'of course, your shoes are matching too!'

Speaking of shoes. This photo is one I meant to post up and send to Sarah for her perusal as regards gumboots! The lovely Kana (for whom I am making previously mentioned MD - actually, it's done and I've just been listening to it to check it over) is modeling a pair from an amazing assortment of printed pattern boots. Incredible! However, she has unusually large feet for a Japanese girl - normal to an Australian - and she couldn't quite get her foot in . . but she still did a lovely job. This was when we went shopping at Alpark and ate okonomiyaki ~ I also rode all the way to Itsukaichi station from where I live - a feat which had most people staggered. From a country of people with a strong bicycle riding culture they don't really expect much from their equipment - it was only over an hour and a bit to get there and on a crappy no-gears grannybike (ママチャリ - mamachari) but it seems to be regarded as an amazing achievement! I must stay that it was a bloody hot and humid day. Sure, I'll admit that I rock!

Right - should get back down to business . . . Ohh! Looking forward to tomorrow night! There's so going to be some karaoke going down! o(^_^)o

Hope you are well and enjoying the coolness and holidays of the southern hemisphere - for those of you who are in it and still students, etc ~ For all you others, (>o<)/ What are you doing out of the Lucky Country?  Bugs and fishes!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh! those boots are so cute!

5:01 PM  
Blogger Eleanora Martinez said...

Bugger . . . just lost that comment. . . stupid internet when I have a headache and should be in bed or study for tomorrow's exam!

11:43 PM  
Blogger Eleanora Martinez said...

Goodness, the computer was being annoying last night - twice it went mental when I tried to post comments!
I got really excited when I saw the boots and wanted to send a photo straight away . . Very cute but stupidly expensive!
Apparently here gumboots are just called boots! Given the general penchant for butchering English I'm surprised that they're not called 'gomuzu' or something along those lines.
It has recently occurred to me that there'd probably be a really good market here for for uggboots - and such a great name! My poppa gave me a pink pair when I was a kid. I loved them. He also used to me make sweet creamy porridge that has never been match since. He's long gone . . whoa - how did I get here from boots ?!!!

12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home