Tuesday, September 13, 2005

My Pegasus - Bump of Chicken

Right on Japan! The funniest t-shirt I have seen in Japan so far . . . and what is Bump of Chicken ??????? Stay tuned for the answer in our next exciting episode . . .

It's been a long time in between substantial posts and this one won't be one either!

I'm really starting to feel the post 5 weeks of near non-stop travel, but it's nice to back 'home' in Hiroshima again for little bit.
I feel I have a different impression of the country and that my language skills and confidence have improved with extensive traversal of the country. Not that you'd know it from my linguistic attempts today - I've been rather woeful because my brain feels so luggish.

I've been to some amazing places on my travels and hope to post about them posthumously but now I suppose I should away to continue my organisational business . . .

My trip to supreme brief . . .

Kyoto with Jules
Kansai to meet the boy-o
Kyoto again
Himeji on the way back to Hiroshima for a week - A-tom bomb memorial service

Okayama with a sidetrip to Kurashiki
A tour de force train day to Kanazawa
Niigata - brilliant izayaka food and 'koala-chan'
Aomori - a bit of a hole with hoons on bikes on the main drag and a interesting taxi ride
Ferry to Hokkaido
Hakodate - melons, crabs and squid everywhere
Sapporo
Asahidake Onsen - where we climbed a mountain and stayed in super-plush accommodation and I got terrified by the prospect of meeting a bear in the forest.
Tomakomai
Overnight ferry back to Honshu

Shinkansen to Tokyo (where we spent a lot of time in Ueno, I bought a laptop in Akihabara and met up with Bonnie which was crazy fun)
Matsumoto for more castle action
Kyoto with a daytrip to Nara

Then we headed to Osaka for farewells and arrivals . . .
I lost my travel partner to the siren call of PhDness and gained a mother.

To Koyasan - a mountain town full of temples where you can stay and eat fantastic vegetarian food.
Change of plans saw us back in Kyoto early with a day for Nara again and a day and a half for Kyoto - exhausting.
Himeji Castle again and Okayama for the next night after trouble finding accommodation.
Kurashiki for famous art museum and then back to Hiroshima for a festival near Miyajima, satying with a friend whose family run a pottery shop.
Afternoon jaunt to Miyajima.

Today is an organisational day in Hiroshima before we head out for 5 days travel prior to a 6 day trip to Seoul.

Then it's straight back to school the next day . . .

It's a hard-knock life for us!

2 Comments:

Blogger JCriquet said...

Hey, Ellie, it's the irrepressible James Mellor here. Are you familiar with Joanna Newsom? I have no reason to suspect that you are, 'cept that you seem rather musically inclined. :D Anyway, she's my favourite artist, a singer/harpist by trade, and she's playing six dates in Australia, all of which I am going to be attending.

None of this has anything to do with you, unless you dig her stuff, in which case you might want to know that she is going to be playing in Japan in the second half of October.

3:19 AM  
Blogger pippa said...

gosh, i'm not sure who i'm more jealous of - james or you!

thankyou for my present!

9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home