Thursday, June 23, 2005

As you wait with baited breath . . .

You shall soon discover I have very little of interest to reveal . . .
I rocked up to meeting the Fulbrights (damn, if I really know how to spell that, but I'm spelling it how it looks, just like I was always told!) late as I'd forgotten to print out the Thucydides short answer assignment beforehand. The first thing I get upon arrival is Karl mouthing at me that 'You're in trouble' . . I went over immediately despite the fact that the teacher was talking, thinking it was something important - as it turns out Parker had simply said, before I arrived, that everyone with, the exception of me, should have written more on the test. Following this he introduced me to one of the fulbrights as his "best international student for this year" . . . Is he trying to get me despised ?
Besides which I'm sure that it's such a great indictment of my priorities that I can't get all of my homework done but manage to pass the English language tests with flying colours . . .

Anyway, that was my exciting news - and it consisted of my boasting . . . Hmmm.

What have I done today ?
The anime class was about Grave of the Fireflies which was just incredibly depressing - about the 1945 firebombing of Kobe and the catastrophic affect it has on the lives of two siblings . . . Some of the Korean students had an interesting take on the movie. They said that movies like this would encourage young Japanese people to be even more inclined (as a result of the atom bombs is that it's very easy to focus on victims and forget Japan's own past attrocities towards its enemies in the war) to view Japan's role in WWII as that of a victim, which as Koreans (a people horribly mistreated by the Japanese) they really can't condone.
In Hiroshima and Peace the teacher forgot to translate for us in the lesson so it was a lesson of kanji and vocab searching which wasn't so bad . . .
Then I sat with some of the Korean girls in linguistics and thus didn't have anyone who could explain what was going on . . . but I chatted to the teacher afterwards and he was nice about the fact I didn't really understand and is going to try and find me an English explanation of Japanese accents - cool!

Now I have to go pay attention to a boy.

NB for this post: Will there ever be a time when I don't want to A Blue Sky ? I somehow doubt it . . . you should all be listening to it! As I knew that where most of you are there's no abundance of literal blue skies . . . It's 蒸し暑い (むしあつい - mushi-atsui) which means humid-hot! and damn it is! You need a shower about 3 times a day just to feel vaguely clean.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home