Friday, June 10, 2005

本blitz

. . . While she was so mean regarding some things, she never begrudged any extravagance when it came to eating. If she decided she wanted to something - lettuce, potatoes, mushrooms - she agreed to the price on the spot. She bought them in abundance and walked all the way home showing no pain, no matter how her shoulders might ache, or how unsightly she might look, or how far the journey was. If she found out that her favourite food or what she needed for a new recipe was in season and inexpensive, she would stand rapturously in front of the wagon or trailer, her mouth open like a child's. This special expression on her face would appear only when she found out that the object of her desire was cheap as well. Thrift and gluttony frequently create a dilemma, but they do not contradict each other if the food is in season and abundant . . . .

Remind anyone of anyone ?

So maybe, price is still, sometimes, an issue . . . and I have been known to catch the bus once or twice at the end of a long day with the prospect of an hour and a half walk home, burdened by about 8 kgs of produce . . . it brought a simle to my face regardless . . . I am not alone.

Speaking of which, I need to go do some shopping tonight . . . I wonder if I can make it to the weekend - I only have 千五百円 (suppose that's about $20Au, but doesn't go far here) in my wallet and won't have another currency influx til the 20th . . . how low can I go ? (anyone for limbo?)

I felt a great urge to start up the computer, despite it being 1am, when I read this . . . I forced my way through the reminder of chapter four of Thucydides last night, finally reaching the finishing line at about 12. Instead of sensibly going to bed at this point I decided my tired eyes could accommodate my miind which desired a little lighter reading before repose - thus did i come across this little gem.

Success!!! Thucydides has been mastered - now there's just the other bloody half of it to go! I also have to go back to the text and prepare for the test by doing the short assignment questions that Parker has set . . . hummpf!

My life used to be one mad 本(ほん - hon - book) blitz - for many years, any spare moment I had I would whip out a book. Then with the onset of Uni, following the study nightmare of Yr 12, my reading level waned . . . that's about 6 years of limited bookage. Some might protest and say that I certainly have been reading, but in comparison to those bygone days of my early youth, I have been reading nothing.
Life has recently flipped this on it's head . . . and currently adorning my bedroom floor (what little there is) are a scattering of about ten books on a range of topics . . . all very well and enjoyable, but it's tough going getting back into peak 本blitz condition and I really should get back to the kanji!

Last night, a memory came to me of being at a High School Sports Day and my friend and I, having taken many books to help pass an otherwise unappealing day, ensconced ourselves in the shade, only to be reprimanded by some long-since forgotten pedagogue and forced out into the sun to hours of boredom . . . stupid compulsory Sports Days . . . I think I skipped a few after this experience.

Oo - better go beat the bus-rush home after 4th period . . . still haven't had any lunch!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home