Thursday, May 26, 2005

自動詞、他動詞、助動詞 - sugar and spice and all things grammarish!

Today was another day at the office after getting to bed late again. I had a 9am class which means getting up at 7am, but I mustn't have set my alarm properly because though I woke before 7am I went back to sleep assuming I'd get a wake up call later. Thus at 7:30 in the absence of an alarm I awoke in a rush to be ready in half an hour.

Thus tired, I attended anime class for a talk about Lupin III and The Castle of Cagliostro, then Julie and I went to the roof garden of the library and sat reading stuff for anime in the sun which rather luxurious but sleep-inducing.
At lunch I met up with a girl (my nerdy LOTR pal) to interview her about movies in preparation for Monday's Japanese, and I ate my weird leftovers rice mixture.
After lunch was Hiroshima and Peace when I felt decidedly sleepy and felt too lethargic for paying too much attention to all that Japanese. Following this, Wednesday being my long day, it was straight to Jap linguistics . . . I was feeling like slinking off home but my perserverance paid of with a triumph for the day . . .

I actually managed to understand the lesson, whilst most of the Japanese students talked or slept. I couldn't believe how much I could actually understand!! This is the class in which I have struggled the most for comprehension because there is absolutely no English.
This class currently involves the teacher talking about basic verb conjugation that most people should have studied in high school. As it's obviously not something I have studied in that much detail or at all recently it's great consolidation for me. It's kind of reviewing things I have learned but in a different and more linguistically analytical way which I'm finding really interesting now that I can follow it. Many thanks to the Japanese girls in my class (esp. かおり Kaori). I'm also learning and getting to practise (the only way to remember words!) using vocab for talking about the language - words like verb, intransitive and transitive verb, aux verb, that sort of stuff that's useful to know when trying to consolidate my understanding of Japanese.
The lecturer is also nice, though young and seemingly ill-respected by the students who talk a lot. He has started giving us (me and the Korean girls) extra explanatory materials (in English!) and sets easier assignments for the exchange students!

Sweet as a nut!
Knew there had to be a silver lining to the day (the blue-sky weather was another perfect touch)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home