Friday, May 13, 2005

こんちちは!!

This week I dub 'super budget conscious week'!
My money hasn't come through so I haven't paid the rent, because it was that or eat.

Due to the absence of money and the resulting fridge excavations, my week's meals have been very interesting and rather unusual, even for me. They have generally been edible though, which is the main issue at hand.

I have never been a good breakfast person - cereal isn't really my thing so I'd regularly have leftover pasta, pizza or whatever could be warmed from the fridge. Most of these items have steadily (cold turkey, in truth) been removed from my diet due to allergies, so still, the problem remains of what to eat for brekkie when you can't be bothered staggering down to the kitchen on the 2nd floor ?

Yesterday I made a great discovery for easy breakfasts and deserts - I buy tofu that's dirt cheap (¥38) and a decent sized can of tropical fruit (¥105) and bob's your uncle! It lasts for two helpings easily if I don't get gutsy, and though know I shouldn't be eating too much tofu it's so nice and healthy, I can't resist - you never feel gross after it and there's not stacks of sugar in it like those honey peanuts I kept getting stuck into a while back . . . When I get my scholarship next week I plan to invest in museli making ingredients so that I can make up a whole lot of toasted museli and be living the good life. Please note that toasted museli doesn't fall into the category of cereal, just if you were wondering about my logic there!

Tofu in Japan is quite different from that available in Australia - there's kinu (きぬ) and momen (もめん) - kinu is very soft and momen is what we'd consider soft too, but here it's the harder version. Last night all I had was momen, but the fruit with kinu tonight, it's like heaven on a stick!
Well, actually it's more like heaven in a small blue bowl, but let's not worry about particulars too much.


Today in a class we watched a rather harrowing video about the Atomic bomb being dropped on Hiroshima. Julie and I have to go to the Peace Park (平和公園)and associated museums and write about our experiences of them for another class, so we were thinking of doing that this arvo but it didn't look an appealing prospect immediately after that!! However, being short on time to it at another point, we headed off that way later in the day and had the cutest encounter . . . a grandma with a little boy . . . we smiled and she said konnichiwa (今日は) so we responded in kind, procuring from him a stuttered konchichiwa which certainly enlivened our walk.

Then we went and read about the torturous deaths of thousands as the result of the Atomic bombing . . . oh humanity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home