Thursday, July 07, 2005

If wishes were fishes . . .


Img_0189
Originally uploaded by Yukata Me.
Then this little fishy would be droopy!

Today is apparently Tanabata (七夕 - たなばた). According to myth, two gods that lived together in the Milky Way didn't work as they were supposed and they were thus forced to live separately, sundered by the river of stars. This is the one day of the year that they can meet again and so in their happiness they will grant the wishes of those who write their desires on little pieces of paper and tie them to bamboo.

We just had presentations in the Japanese Society class . . . One girl explained today's festivities in a mix of English and Japanese, the latter I could understand, the former not so much. Karl spoke about Seppuku, Julie onomatopoeic words in Japanese, Evan J-pop, Yuka aboうt the blacking out of teeth which used to be fashionable in Japan. I did a rather haphazard job of talking about Ukiyoe (浮世絵 - うきよえ - literally translated as 'pictures of the floating world'), print-making or hanga 版画, the flow of influences from Japan to the West and a little of the reverse, my experiences of the representation of art from the Asian region in Australia and then I briefly mentioned Yayoi Kusama (やよい 草間) who is a famous contemporary Japanese artist who worked a lot in America in the 1960s and is of the Yoko Ono ilk. I love her stuff and I think I wrote about an retrospective exhibtion of her work that I went to not long after I'd arrived. It was ratehr scattered and I wish I'd had the time to prepare better but I'm ashamed to say that yet again cooking took priority last night . . . Well, it was my birthday cake so I think I'm a tad justified.

This photo is actually of a fortune attached to a tree at a temple at Iwakuni when I went there during Golden Week. I got the second best fortune option available in the pick from the box and decided that one in the hand was better for kanji practise than it being on a tree so I kept it. Customarily, if you draw out a fortune that you don't want or is bad you tie to a tree in the temple grounds in the hope that it then won't eventuate.

Looking forward to the party tomorrow but now I should dash off to music class!
Must do a bit more shopping tonight . . The Nutmeg cake has come out only a little wibbly looking and in smells great! Tonight it's tofeese cake mixed with kanji study.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home