Monday, July 24, 2006

3 down, 3 to go


Kumi and Riyo
Originally uploaded by 絵理.
This is a photo of Kumi and Riyo enjoying Japanese curry ~ Riyo reminds me greatly of a little blonde-haired boy some years ago with a similarly messy face.

Rina and Riyo are very cute and it would have been lots of fun hanging out with the last night but as it was I so stressed I could only quietly hope that eventually they would tire of coming to chatter away and randomly pass me things saying 'hai', respectively. I wished I had the time to just mess about but I felt like screaming with the thought of how much there was to be revised and even learnt for the first time!

Yesterday was a big blur of feeling anxious and jittery about today and then racing into town to meet up with Keiko on her brief trip back from China . . . Funny to think that we are unlikely to see each for years or much ever again in the course of our lives. But really, when you consider it I suppose that relationships with most people are like that. A rare few will stay but can't hold our breath on those! Lots of laughs were had and it was worth the effort and time out of study because I figure this is my one life and study is not worth making your life a misery over.

I think I will have passed the first exam even though I couldn't write more than a couple of the kanji I needed to. I figure some of the dictation will get me by and it wasn't a class that I was ever going to do very well in. It was something to challenge me and that it did! But it was interesting and I figure I'll use the materials again once in Auslandia and preparing for the Japanese Proficiency Test in December.
The second exam I though I'd go better in but my mind couldn't bring up most of the words that I had only just revised and I ended up in a flurry and I question whether my characters will be legible.
Third exam, that is the one I BOTHERED to really study for. I aced the second page and most of the answers I know are correct - a couple that I vagued out on but I can deal with that. Because I lucked out on the kanji!!! I happened to have just skimmed my eyes over a few kanji, having fairly much abandoned trying to be able to write the multitude required, over a number of the kanji that were included, and in addition to that in what seems ironic, the reading was provided for one of the kanji that further down the page we were required to write the reading for . . . hope it wasn't some sick exercise . . . I miscopied it at first (must have been karma) but I noticed it in the end as I spent all the time for the exam, rather than leaving after I'd basically completed it within the first 30 minutes. Anyway, lucky lucky on the kanji!! So, I feel satisfied with that - I know that I did well with the time allowed (I should have used the time a little better - but there is that question of enjoying my life here in Japan as a life thingo again!!) and I know that I achieved where I could. When it came to the earlier class, considering that my classmates are almost entirely kids who grow up learning kanji as part of their native language than I figure I need to have some perspective. Whatever way I look at it I will have learnt something regardless of what some test score shows.

Now, I really should move on to preparation for tomorrow's exam which, providing that I study for decently, getting a decentish mark should be attainable.
Then Alex and I will be hanging out with Ryoko tomorrow night. Followed by our final two exams on Thursday. And one essay for me to do.

Then . . . . holidays!

Thanks to those kind peeps who sent me an email or two. Will get back to you soon when exam fog lifts, but in the meantime, thank you! It's always lovely to receive mail, even of the e kind.
Speaking of lifting the rain is dogged. For a country in which the rainy season has lifted it has been awful wet continually for the past week since 梅雨 (tsuyu) officially ended!~????

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

good luck babe! what's your postal address? i'm better by post than i am by email at the moment!

8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home